Simple And Quick Basic Vegan Cheese Sauce
Well, here goes my first recipe post!
I figured I would start with the very beginning most basic thing that you can use and expand upon for other recipes.
It’s nothing other than my simple and quick basic vegan cheese sauce /cream!
So as everyone will find, I am very relaxed and informal with my recipes. I apologize in advance!
I prefer to mainly make things by taste and experimenting so I recommend trying the same!
This is how I was able to get the taste/consistency that I was looking for and preferred.
Of course, it is completely vegan and to actually make, it is very quick.
The base is cashews so you just need to soak them for a little first. I do at least a half hour in hot water (if I’m in a hurry) but you can just let it go overnight if you wish, with it ready by morning.
It is my go to and I make this every week!
I make a big batch and just keep it in a container in the fridge to use for various purposes and meals.
What can you use it for?
- Dipping sauce for pretzels, fries, bread sticks, etc
- White macaroni and cheese
- Base for vegan Alfredo/wine type sauce
- Keep it thick to use in vegan stuffed shells
- Drizzle over avocado toast
- Drizzle on vegan tofu scramble
- Vegan grilled cheese
- and more!
At the end of the week mine is usually gone, but if there happens to be any left, I start over with a new batch to make sure I have fresh for that week.
It really can be an essential addition to your vegan recipe collection.
My Simple And Quick Basic Vegan Cheese Sauce
-Cashews (1 1/2 – 2 cups)
-Water (varies to desired thickness)
-Nutritional Yeast (1-2 tablespoons +)
-Garlic/powder (to taste)
Adjust amounts as needed
- First and foremost I recommend soaking your cashews to soften them. At least a half hour in hot water or overnight if you have the time.
The amount of cashews depends on how much cheese you want to make. I use my Ninja blender as a guide and fill it up to get my desired amount.
- Combine the cashews/water in your blender in the right proportions to get the thickness you want. More water/less cashews will make it lighter and more cashews/less water will make it thick.
- Add the nutritional yeast and garlic if you wish at this point to get a good base flavor. The best is to try amounts and see how you like it! You can always add more so start lower.
Nutritional yeast really helps to give the cheesy flavor!
- Blend until fully done and a lovely creamy consistency.
From here you can serve right away or store for future use.
Let me know what you think of it and any awesome ideas you came up with to use it!
Be sure to check out my recipes I use this for and Pin it to Pinterest so you can always have it handy.